Rec center looking for class instructors

By Amy Kreeger

DeKALB | The Campus Recreation Center is looking for people to get physical.

A group instructor workshop is being held for any student interested in learning how to instruct an exercise class.

Workshop director Eric Appiah said the initial meeting day is Feb. 20. Five other instructors, including Karen Helm, graduate assistant and instructor, along with four other group instructors will run the program.

The workshop continues throughout the entire semester. They train through March and start shadowing other instructors in April. They then go for their official testing at the very end of the semester, he said.

“If they pass and do a good job, they will get to work for the Rec center,” Appiah said.

The workshop itself is free of charge, but it is required that each participant has a FitPass.

It is also recommended that those interested get a semester FitPass if they want to do the workshop in order to oversee other instructors’ work as much as possible, Appiah said.

The workshop is held twice a week for a two-hour period. Appiah said that a person really needs to be committed to the program in order to do well in the workshop.

“It’s a real commitment deal,” he said. “Especially for the first month and a half.”

According to the Rec center website, the program can go towards completing certification to be a group fitness instructor.