SSDP, SA working to resolve dispute

By Kyla Gardner

NIU Students for Sensible Drug Policy may have the chance to meet on campus later this week, bringing some resolution to the group’s concerns about its treatment by the Student Association Senate.

Jeremy Orbach, president and founder of NIU SSDP, said NIU has contacted him and said his group can meet on campus later this week. The group does not have temporary student organization recognition.

Orbach said he has submitted all of his evidence of the alleged constitutional rights violations committed by the SA Senate to Greg Brady, deputy chief counsel of the university.

“I am very comforted that they’re taking this seriously,” Orbach said.

Brian Hemphill, vice president for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management, said the Division of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management, representatives from the SA and University Legal Services are reviewing the information SSDP provided.

“I suspect that not all issues will be resolved in one fell swoop,” Hemphill said. “It may take several steps of progressive resolution that are acceptable to the parties concerned.”

A letter sent of behalf of NIU Students for Sensible Drug Policy to NIU President John Peters Nov. 18 alleged that the SA Senate violated the U.S. Constitution in its treatment of the group by denying them the right to assemble and distribute flyers on campus.