Many seniors excited to pick up graduation tickets

By GILES BRUCE

Monday marked another step toward the end of the road for graduating NIU seniors and graduate students. It was the first day for students to pick up tickets for the May 8 and 9 commencement ceremonies.

A steady stream of people strolled in and out of Entrance 2 of the Convocation Center where students can pick up tickets all week from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Cars with their hazard lights on were parked next to the curb in front of the building. People waited in line at the box office, waiting to get up to 10 tickets for the big day.

Monday was a special day for Adrian Gonzalez, but not nearly as significant as the May 9 ceremony will be for him and his relatives.

“I’m the first in the family to graduate from college, so everyone’s looking forward to me walking across stage,” the senior economics major said as he typed his “Online Reply” on a computer next to the box office. Gonzalez picked up the per-student limit of 10 tickets but said he would have gotten more if he could.

Bridget Buehler wasn’t quite as excited as Gonzalez as May 9 will not be the end of the line for the senior psychology major. It will be another beginning.

“I’m going to grad school, so I’m not really done,” she said, adding that the ceremony will mean “more for my family. I don’t really care because I’m going to have another” commencement after finishing graduate school.

Jim Metallo, who was picking up tickets for some family members, has postgraduation plans that are likely different than most. “I’m gonna be out at DeKalb airport flight instructing,” the senior communication major said.

After she stepped away from one of the Convo computers, senior journalism major Stephanie Sukut couldn’t help but smile when asked about her excitement level for graduation.

“I’ve been in school since I was five, so this is gonna be awesome to not be in school anymore,” Sukut said.

Sukut was slightly disappointed, however, that she only needed eight tickets rather than the 10 she had hoped to get.

“My grandparents can’t come. They decided to go on a cruise instead,” she said.

Tara Kavanaugh worked the box office window Monday, which she said was consistently busy but not as hectic as in years past.

“People don’t know what college they’re in. Or they haven’t registered for graduation. Or they’re not on the list. Or they get angry about the tickets — not having enough,” the junior political laboratory science major said of some of the problems she’s run into previously.

Even though she is going to grad school in the fall, Laura Burns, who picked up 10 tickets Monday, is still looking forward to graduating.

“I’m really excited. I’m excited to have all my family come and see this,” the senior accountancy major said, adding that she hopes to go out to dinner with family after commencement.