Obama mostly in line with FDR for legislation during first 100 days in office

By GILES BRUCE

New NIU students generally have 120 days to prove themselves. But not the President of the United States. He is judged by his first 100 days in office.

The concept originated with Franklin Delano Roosevelt, who put significant legislation into action during his first 100 days in office. As Barack Obama similarly faced a major economic crisis upon entering office, he is being assessed by that touchstone as well.

Obama’s accomplishments in his first 100 days – Wednesday marked that threshold – included getting an economic stimulus package and a bank rescue plan enacted. He proposed a trillion-dollar budget; a version of it was passed by the House Wednesday. He has also been undertaking major initiatives in health care, the environment and education.

Matthew Streb, associate professor of political science, said that while Obama’s public approval ratings are in the high 50s, consistent with most other presidents at this point in their terms, there is a large partisan divide in the ratings.

“In fact, George W. Bush was actually rated more highly by democrats at the same point in his term than Obama is by republicans,” he said.

The separation is likely a result of the stimulus package, which draws its support along partisan lines, Streb said. On a positive note, the number of people who think the country is going in the right direction is growing, he said.

Political science professor Barbara Burrell said the Obama administration has been very disciplined and has made very few mistakes, much like the Obama campaign. But she’s been surprised by Obama’s ambition.

“I thought he would just deal with the economy,” she said. “My reading of presidential history is that they deal with one thing at a time.”

Lindsey Jachec, a sophomore child and development major, thinks the problems facing the country probably will not be fixed in Obama’s first term, let alone 100 days.

“As long as he keeps his word to fix them, they’re eventually going to get better,” she said.

Sophomore accounting major Troy Hendry wants to see Obama focus more on jobs and the war

in Iraq, but he has been mostly pleased with Obama in the early going.

“I know some of his stuff hasn’t been working so far,” he said, referring to the stimulus packages. “But I like that he’s actually taking chances.”