Student fees and room and board may increase for next fiscal year

By GILES BRUCE

Room and board and student fee increases are among the university recommendations that will be voted on at this morning’s Board of Trustees meeting. The increases will be for Fiscal Year 2010, which is from July 1, 2009 until June 30, 2010.

If finalized, room and board will increase an average of 8.67 percent. Student fee increases will be, on average, just below 5 percent, a fact that pleases Eddie Williams, executive vice president and chief of operations of finance and facilities.

“We work very hard in trying to keep fees down but meet the needs of what the university needs to do,” Williams said, adding that for fees like health services and bus fees, “We don’t want to cut corners.”

Williams said increasing the bond revenue fee, which supports facilities and operations on campus, is warranted because of the high use of campus facilities such as the Student Center, Campus Recreation Center and Convocation Center.

Some of the other recommendations are for a Grant Towers renovation project, Huskie Stadium turf replacement, a mass transit contract renewal, an MLK Commons redesign and restoration, a request for a new appointment — dean of the college of law, a new emphasis — pre-physical therapy, and three new specializations.

The Grant Towers renovation will be on the C-Tower and will create expanded double-occupancy 250-square-foot rooms, new shower stalls to create private dressing areas, improved bathroom aesthetics, new glass panels in the floor lounge to bring in natural light, the removal of the “trunk room” to create an open lobby and new sprinkler and updated fire alarm systems.

Trustee Robert Boey said he thinks the fee increases are necessary and fair, since the process for determining them are done with the help of students. Williams and trustee John Butler both praised the recommendation process as well. Williams added that tuition increases likely won’t be proposed until late April or May.

“I wish we never have to increase anything, but you know how inflation goes,” Boey said.