Winter reprieve comes with possible record breaking temps

By GILES BRUCE

NIU staff meteorologist Gilbert Sebenste has good news for those ready for spring — for one day at least.

“Tomorrow, we’re looking at record warmth for one day,” he said.

The previous Feb. 10 high of 60 degrees, set in 1932, will be surpassed by at least one or two degrees Tuesday, Sebenste said.

Warm-weather lovers looking for consecutive nice days, however, will have to wait as Wednesday “will be a lot colder and rainy,” Sebenste said.

The high will be in the low 40s, and rain is expected in DeKalb by Tuesday night at the earliest. But choosing to see the sunshine on a cloudy day, Sebenste noted that Wednesday will still be warmer than the 45 days that preceded it.

While Monday’s high of 48 degrees was well below the record high of 55 degrees, set in 1976, it was still a welcome break from the cold for many students. And though many students still wore winter jackets and didn’t linger outside for long, more students seemed to wait outside for their buses than in previous weeks.

Allison Githens, a political science graduate student, sat on a bench outside the Holmes Student Center Monday.

“I’m excited about the warm weather. I want all the snow to melt,” Githens said as she wore a plaid coat with the hood up and sunglasses. “It’s nice to be able to wait outside and not be cold.”

Aaron Mobley, senior human resources management major, stood on a sidewalk next to the Holmes Student Center and lamented the fact that he won’t be able to enjoy Tuesday’s record temperatures.

“I got tests tomorrow and Wednesday, so I’ll be stuck inside,” Mobley said.

Brittany Zeller, freshman art education major, chose to stay inside Monday as she said it was still a little too cold for her taste.

“I like it when it’s like 70 out; but this is better than when it’s negative 40,” she said, adding she’ll “walk instead of taking the bus” to enjoy the weather on Tuesday.

Freshman art major Leigh Sebastian said it’s nice to see a weather change, but she’s aware that the warm temperatures won’t last. Sebenste agrees.

By Thursday and Friday, the temperature highs will be in the 30s, and snow is possible for Saturday and Sunday, Sebenste said.