Political ads on Huskie buses allowed by SA

By GILES BRUCE

In the weeks leading up to the Nov. 4 election, NIU students have been inundated with political advertising. They’re solicited for their votes every time they turn on the TV, log on to the Internet or get on the bus.

Some local politicians have turned to Huskie Bus Line for campaign advertising. And they don’t just slap a sign on the bus without putting any thought into it. They choose where on the bus and on which routes the ads should go.

Politicians can buy ads on Huskie buses just like anyone else regardless of party affiliation or whether their opponents are also advertising on the buses, said Tyler Saenz, Student Association Deputy of Public Affairs. The SA handles all Huskie bus advertising.

“They just have to pay,” Saenz said. “Everybody who calls gets their advertising. We don’t lean towards any sides.”

Where on the bus a candidate wants to advertise determines price. Placing a sign on the street side of a Huskie Bus costs $200 as it is the largest, most visible ad available. The curb side goes for $160 and the rear is $100.

Associate communication Professor Ferald Bryan said that in local elections, local newspapers and radio stations are generally the best ways to advertise, but yard and bus signs are also an option.

“In many cases, for students, it can be a reminder of who’s running for office and persuade them to find more information on a candidate,” he said of bus ads.

Jason Brokaw, first year law student, said politicians are working extra hard this year to reach young voters, as Barack Obama has such a strong hold on that demographic, though most NIU students don’t vote in DeKalb.

“It’s kind of a cover-all-your-bases approach,” he said of the reason politicians choose to advertise on Huskie buses. “You see 20,000 students sitting here – why not?”

“Depending on where they advertise, it gives the idea of what audience they want to reach,” Saenz said.

For instance, if a politician wants to reach DeKalb residents, he or she may choose to advertise on the number two and seven buses, as Josh has, he said.

The ads will be on the buses on and past election day. Saenz said contracts for Huskie bus ads are at least one month, which is part of the reason why the ads will be up past Tuesday.

DeKalb County Clerk Sharon Holmes said state law prohibits political advertising within 100 feet of a polling place. She recalled instances where people were asked to move vehicles that had political signage on them. The Huskie buses with campaign ads will pass by DeKalb county polling places on Tuesday, but it is unknown if that would be a violation of state law, Holmes said.