Political campaigns must follow the rules on campus

By GILES BRUCE

“Vote for [insert your preferred candidate here].”

If you hear this being chanted at NIU, you are likely next to a free speech area, according to Angela Dreessen, director of Student Involvement and Leadership Development.

At these designated spots on campus where individuals or groups can make their voices heard by passing out leaflets or holding events, political-themed activities can take place just the same as non-political ones, she said. You just have to call SILD ahead of time if you will be at one of the areas: the MLK Mall Area or next to the Convocation Center. But you probably won’t see an NIU employee doing the aforementioned chanting.

Recent incidents at the University of Illinois and University of Texas, and the fact that the election is only weeks away, have brought the issue of political activity on college campuses into the spotlight.

“Political activity in relation to employment or the use of university resources is strictly prohibited under several statutes and regulations,” said Steven Cunningham, associate vice president of Administration and Human Resources. “NIU relies on employees to utilize good judgment and tact. The university has experienced few problems in this regard.”

As for political activity in the residence halls, given that students participating in the activity are not employed by NIU, Michael Stang, executive director of Housing and Dining, said the rules are outlined in the Housing and Dining Guide Post.

Door-to-door campaigning in residence halls, among other rules, must take place during the 20 days before an election or registration deadline, and the canvassers can’t solicit contributions.

To post objects, including political signage, on dormitory walls, the rules for putting up any other materials must be followed. Windows are another story.

Residence hall windows are considered university property and thus a representation of NIU, so objects displayed on them may be subject to review. If deemed inappropriate, residents may be required to remove the displays according to the Housing and Dining Guide Post.

With regard to political activity in the private sector, including private universities, the rules are definitely not black and white, said Associate Management professor Terrence Bishop.

It is hard to fire workers because of political activity since the many barriers and public policies in place would prevent it, Bishop said, unless of course the employees do “extreme” things such as waste time on-the-clock to campaign on company premises. Got it?

“There are so many grey areas,” Bishop said. “It’s part of what makes life interesting.”