Breakdown of Indiana State’s offense

By BEN GROSS

Quarterbacks

In 2006, the last time NIU faced Indiana State, Charles “Chuck” Dowdell wasn’t on the field. In fact, the quarterback was redshirted.

Now, with a year of experience under his belt, the redshirt sophomore heads to DeKalb to make his first start against the Huskies.

Although the Sycamores have played two games this season, Dowdell has only participated in one. According to the Indiana’s Terre Haute News, the quarterback was suspended for the team’s season opener.

In his first game of the 2008 season, against FCS No. 20 Eastern Illinois, the 6-foot, 200 pound quarterback completed six-of-14 passes for 55 yards. Dowdell also rushed for 52 yards.

However, the quarterback couldn’t get a touchdown. Instead, he threw an interception, along with four fumbles in the first half.

Because of the fumbles, freshman Calvin Schmidtke replaced Dowdell. The new quarterback still had problems though, as he fumbled on his third snap of the game. So far, in two games this season, Schmidtke is seven-for-19 for 76 yards with three interceptions.

Grade: D-

Running Backs

NIU fans shouldn’t confuse Indiana State running back Darrius Gates with former NIU basketball player Darrius Gaters.

Gates has gained 109 yards on the ground in 20 attempts this season. That almost doubles the redshirt sophomore’s career total. In five games during 2006 Gates had 119 rushing yards on 20 attempts. The running back missed the 2007 season due to an injury he suffered five games into the 2006 season.

However, one common theme for Gates at ISU has been the inability to find the end zone. In high school, the running back set a school single season record of 32 touchdowns, and a career record of 65 end zone appearances. Yet, at ISU, the Country Club Hills, Ill., native has yet to score one time.

Grade: D

Wide Receivers and Tight Ends

In total, the Sycamore receivers and tight ends have caught only 16 passes for 139 yards on 41 pass attempts. That’s a completion rate of 39 percent.

Over one-third of completed passes have been to wide out Ryan Patrick. The senior has 56 yards so far in two games this season. Last year Patrick, a transfer from Ball State, led ISU with 606 yards on offense.

To match Patrick’s 2008 offensive production, the Sycamores have to add the production of the next top three receivers – and that only totals up to 58 yards. However, the No. 2 receiver on the team is running back Darrius Gates with 22 yards.

Josh Jones fills the tight end spot for ISU. The 6-foot-2, 220 pound junior is third on the team with 21 receiving yards on two catches.

Grade: D+

Offensive Line

Two years ago, when Indiana State came to NIU, the team’s offensive line was 12 pounds heavier than the Huskies’.

Now, in 2008, the Sycamores only hold a one-pound advantage over the Huskies’ offensive line.

ISU’s heaviest lineman is left tackle Janssen Hayes. The 6-foot-3 senior comes in at a whopping 325 pounds. Close behind is right guard Pat Burke. Standing tall at 6-foot-3, the junior tops 320 pounds on the scale.

Yet, after these two scale tippers, the line starts to lose some size. Center Jack Byrne is only 300 pounds, while both left guard Evan Borchers and right tackle Josh Jellison are 275 pounds.

Against FCS No. 20 Eastern Illinois, the line didn’t allow one sack. However, against Eastern Michigan, these big boys allowed the quarterback to be knocked down four times.

Grade: C