Volleyball team finishes 14-10 in spring season

By ANDY PRUSKI

The Huskies’ volleyball team wrapped up its successful spring competition last weekend.

NIU finished the 24-match set with 14 wins.

Eight of those games were played at NIU’s own Campus Recreation Center in the Salvini Spring Playdate. The Huskies went 6-2 at their home venue.

According to NIU head volleyball coach Ray Gooden, many players made improvements this season including Cassie Yates, Amanda Tadla and Meagan Schoenrock.

The Huskies actual season begins in late August.

Jumping to new heights

In the biggest venue thus far for the NIU track and field team, sophomore Jessica Statler put on a show.

The Iowa native finished eighth in the high jump at the world-famous Drake Relays with a jump of 5-7, which matches her career best.

“It was really awesome,” Statler said. “There were a lot of people there and the stands were packed. I feel good about my performance but was hoping to get the next height.”

The next height was 5-8 3/4, which would have been regional-qualifying for her.

With Statler’s hometown in Iowa, she was able to see some familiar faces.

“My parents and some friends made the trip down,” she said. “My high school was also competing there and it was nice to see some of those people that I haven’t seen since high school.”

The Huskies had members competing in two other events at the Drake Relays. Both the 4×200 and the sprint medley teams finished in 15th place.

Doubles anyone?

The NIU women’s tennis season came to an end last weekend, but it didn’t come without a fight.

In their opening match against Akron, the Huskies had a strong showing and beat the Zips 4-1.

The win advanced NIU to face top-seeded Western Michigan. In that match, the Huskies doubles teams all were competitive.

Junior Nao Umemura and sophomore Brooke Forsberg gave the Broncos’ top doubles team a run for its money but ultimately fell short 8-6.

This became a theme, as all three of the Huskies doubles teams fell in close sets.

Lilian Asuaje and Katie Friedlund lost by the slimmest of margins, 7-6.

Unfortunately for NIU, singles play was not as kind and the Huskies ended up falling 4-0 to WMU to close out the season.