Women’s basketball looks for immediate contributions from freshmen

By ANDY PRUSKI

Replacing three senior starters from last season’s team is not going to be an easy task for the NIU women’s basketball team. That’s why the team recruited three freshmen from the Midwest who are up to the challenge.

CHARMAINE BELL 5-10 Des Moines, Iowa

Bell is a point guard with an impressive resume. After leading her team to a state championship her junior year of high school, she followed it up with a second-place finish as a senior.

“She has such a competitive nature,” NIU head coach Carol Owens said.

Being a penetrating guard, Bell has learned a lot this season from former NIU guard Stephanie Raymond, who has been working with the team in practice.

“We’ve been working and I’ve been learning so much from her,” Bell said. “It’s such a big transition from high school because it’s such a fast-paced game and a lot more intense.”

MAUVOLYENE ADAMS 6-0 Bolingbrook, Illinois

At 6 feet tall, Adams provides some height at the forward position for the Huskies. According to Owens, she is also the type of player who can be versatile on the court.

“She’s a dynamic player, which is special for us,” Owens said. “She’s a pretty good passer with a 15-foot jump shot and is a power player on the inside.”

Her inside presence will be key for NIU, who lost center Kristin Wiener after graduation.

BIANCA BROWN 5-9 Detroit, Michigan

Brown will fit in nicely with NIU’s defense-oriented philosophy. She also brings a good work ethic to the team and plans to make her name known as a defender.

“You can never have a bad game playing basketball,” Brown said. “Even if your shots aren’t falling, you can never have an off-night defensively because it’s all about working hard. I want to make a statement and show the person I’m guarding that it’s not going to be easy.”

According to Owens, Brown has made her presence felt in practice so far this season.

“She is one of the hardest working players on the team,” Owens said. “She never lets up.”