Volleyball falls to Western Michigan

By ANDY PRUSKI

While conference play marks a new beginning for the NIU volleyball team, it appears to be the same old song and dance as the Huskies lost 3-1 on the road in their MAC West opener against Western Michigan Thursday night.

The Huskies drop to 6-9 (0-1), while the Broncos pick up win number nine and improve to 9-5 (1-0).

After dropping the first game 27-30, NIU battled back and took the second 30-27.

In the third game, NIU again lost a close match 27-30 before falling apart in the decisive game four and scoring just 11 points.

“We fought hard in the first three games,” NIU coach Ray Gooden said. “They won some long rallies and we just didn’t have the energy in the fourth game. We just need to finish.”

Freshman Dani D’Ambrose led all players with 18 kills. She also had 18 digs in a defensive oriented game for both teams.

As a team, WMU combined for 99 digs, while NIU was right on its heels with 95.

“That’s a lot of digs for a four game match,” Gooden said. “Emotions were high with it being the first conference game and everyone was jacked up. There were some nice plays made by both teams.”

WMU’s Caitlin Strimel specifically was one of those players making nice plays. The sophomore libero had 32 digs in the match.

The Bronco’s trio of Michelle Moore, Ashley Vogl and Allyson Doyle ultimately proved to be too much for the Huskies defense.

Moore recorded 17 kills, while Vogl added 16. Doyle wasn’t far behind, reaching 14 and 13 digs.

NIU sophomore Meagan Schoenrock continued her solid play, going for 16 kills.

Senior setter Mandi Caputo had a solid all-around game going for a game-best 53 assists while adding 16

There is a light at the end of the tunnel, and the NIU volleyball team is nearing it when they face Bowling Green Saturday on the road in a MAC crossover match.

The match is the third and final of what coach Ray Gooden called the toughest stretch they will have all season.

That stretch started with a tough 3-2 loss to Wisconsin-Milwaukee before heading to Western Michigan where the Huskies fell 3-1. This weekend it will end in Bowling Green when NIU will face off against the 9-5 (1-0) Falcons at 3 p.m..

Bowling Green has won five consecutive matches and is a perfect 4-0 playing in front of its home crowd which has usually shown up over 500 strong.

“We know they’re strong at home and that’s going to come into play,” Gooden said. “They have most of their team returning also, so they have a lot of experience.”

The Falcon’s veteran team contains nine upperclassmen, including senior Stephanie Swiger and junior Chelsey Meek.

Swiger averages 2.90 kills per game, while Meeks is one of the top defenders in the MAC, going for 5.71 digs per game.

Their offensive leader, however, comes in the form of sophomore Corey Domek who averages 3.50 kills per game.

Both Swiger and Domek are hitting over .300 clip.

“They don’t make many mistakes and we aren’t going to be able to either,” Gooden said. “We need to keep our energy up and make them work.”