Two NIU students killed in car crash

By Steve Brown

Many students may have seen or met Alexander R. Cameron and Derek K. Jensen kicking hacky sack in Central Park in between Douglas, Stevenson and Grant and not even have known it.

Cameron, 22, a political science major and Jensen, an English major were both avid hacky enthusiasts, and could often be seen playing with fellow students until early morning hours in the west campus park.

The activity became more than a hobby when the two, along with senior sociology-criminology major Pat Carone, decided to found the NIU Footbag Club. Jensen drafted most of the constitution and the club was sanctioned Dec. 2005 by the SA.

On Thursday morning, Jensen and Cameron were heading west in Jensen’s 1990 Geo Prism on Plank Rd. near Devine Way, northeast of Sycamore when they were struck and killed by an oncoming car. A 2005 Audi, driven by Farzana S. Hosain, 51, of Lisle was eastbound on Plank following a truck hauling wood pallets and attempted to pass the truck in a no-passing zone. Both Jensen, who was driving the car, and Cameron were killed upon impact of the crash. Both were pronounced dead on the scene of the accident just after 9 a.m. Farzana was treated and released for minor injuries at Kishwaukee Community Hospital.

Now, even with two of the charter members of the club gone, senior business administration and economics double major Travis Matthews plans to continue the club in their honor.

“I think we almost have to continue it on without them,” said Matthews, a close friend of the two. “I think that’s what they’d want.”

As of late Monday, police were still investigating the accident and did not rule out further charges against Farzana, who was charged with disobeying a no-passing zone.

“Ultimately, it will be the decision of the state’s attorney’s office,” said Kevin Hickey, Chief Deputy of the DeKalb County Sheriff’s office.

Police believe they have identified the driver of the pallet truck, but would disclose what his observations were. The Sheriff’s office also said that several witness have also reported their accounts of the accident, which is being used to reconstruct the scene. In cases such as this one, the investigation usually takes several weeks, Hickey said.

Police have not yet determined the speed of either of the vehicles involved in the accident. The speed limit in the area is 55 mph. The Sheriff’s Office is asking witnesses to the accident to call 815-895-2155 to provide additional details.

Jensen and Cameron’s funerals were held Monday. Cameron’s took place in Countryside at 9 a.m. and Jensen’s was in Schaumburg at 11 a.m.

Both NIU students were described by their peers as outgoing and personable.

“Alex was a lot quieter and Derek was just happy-go-lucky,” Carone said. “They were basically happy to be around people.”

Several students expressed their condolences and memorials on Jensen’s Facebook profile.

“Derek was one of those guys that I never saw upset,” Carone said of Jensen, who was a Northern Star campus reporter in the spring. “He always had a smile on his face. My girlfriend met him once and said she wished she could have experienced him more. If you hung out with Alex, you’d be able to get a good idea of how he was all the time.”

Both Jensen and marketing major Tom Maday graduated from Driscoll Catholic High School in 2003.

“He was just a real nice kid and would always ask me to come over to hang out,” Maday said. “He didn’t care about groups: he just made people feel good.”

Jill Miller, a resident of the adjacent lot to where the accident took place, made a 911 call when she noticed smoke after the crash woke her up Thursday morning.

“We’ve only been here for two years and its the first accident I’ve seen,” Miller said. “I don’t think it’s a dangerous road — it’s just a county road.”

The familes of both victims placed a small memorial on the corner of Plank and Devine.

Tom Bukowski contributed to this story.