This room by reservation only

By Michelle Gilbert

Passing through Altgeld Hall, students may notice a big, bold computer lab with high-tech equipment and, at certain times, a handful of people using it.

Like many students, Marcie Oakes, a senior fine arts major, doesn’t know anything about the lab.

“I don’t ever use it. I don’t know what class it’s reserved for,” Oakes said. “I do think it looks neat.”

The orange and white warning signs on the door state the computer lab is not open to the general student public.

“It’s not a general access lab,” said Charles Schumann, manager of lab operations. “It was never intended to be one.”

Instead, the lab is used for events such as faculty development, one-day seminars and academic programs, according to Elizabeth Leake, associate director of ITS customer support services.

“Altgeld 100 is the largest classroom lab on campus. It features 48 computers and was designed to facilitate large groups as a classroom lab,” Leake said. “ITS maintains this facility, on behalf of our provost, by reservation for large groups.”

On days when events do not occur, the Altgeld computer lab remains relatively empty.

“It depends [how often the lab is used]. This semester we don’t have a regularly scheduled class, so it’s off and on,” Schumann said.

Leake does not feel the bold warning signs placed on the door are the most effective way to promote the computer lab if groups on or off campus want to reserve the lab for an event.

“I learned that NIU Public Safety uses these signs as a universally understood way to let janitorial staff and others with keys know that if they open the door, a silent alarm goes off triggering a chain-reaction of security responses,” Leake said.

Schumann came up with an idea for the format. A message written on the signs during the day will welcome students and faculty and gives directions to reserve the computer lab. When the lab is closed, the signs will be flipped over and read “Warning” with information about the computer lab alarms.

“We would love to see this room used more often,” Leake said. “The dual screen projection capability and newer computers are enjoyed by students and faculty alike.”

The Altgeld computer lab can be reserved Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Anyone who is interested may call ITS Lab Management at 753-5700.