Pajama pants no longer just nighttime attire

By Michelle Gilbert

Students often can be seen walking around campus in pajama pants. Yet some have mixed feelings on the trend.

“I have early classes. It’s at 8 a.m. when you’re walking to class you see everyone in pajamas,” said Wendy Edminster, a freshman pre-physical therapy major.

She said she sees students wearing pajamas a lot more in the morning than in the afternoon.

“I’ve [worn pajamas] twice this week, yesterday and today,” Edminster said.

Many students may find it easier to go to class in the morning wearing pajamas so they can sleep in later.

Freshman nutrition and dietetics major Molly Kinkade said she buys pajamas every three to four months and often sees other students wearing pajamas to class every day.

In high school, Kinkade said she would get up early in the morning and get completely ready for school. Now she wears pajamas to class because of, “the laziness of putting on jeans.”

Jerry Williams, manager of the McDonald’s at 805 W. Lincoln Highway, said he does not see students wearing pajamas all that often.

Freshman history major Furrunnecia Newberry said she has seen people wearing track pants, which she feels are more appropriate than pajamas. Although she has, on occasion, worn her pajamas to class.

Professors vary on the issue

Some professors do not mind if students attend classes wearing pajamas.

Associate math professor Peter Waterman said students can wear what they want, as long as it is appropriate.

“There’s no formal dress code,” he said.

Some professors have slightly different opinions than Waterman.

“I need students to not distract other students by exposing too much skin, not wear or carry items with vulgar language, not sleep in class [and] be focused on the learning experience,” said accountancy instructor Tamara Phelan. “If all that is present, I really am indifferent to what they wear. For presentations, of course, I expect business or business casual dress.”

Management instructor Stacey Short said she thinks a track suit or sweatpants are acceptable. Short sometimes sees students in the building in pajamas, but only has seen a student wearing pajamas to class around 10:30 a.m. once.

“It tells me they’re not taking the class seriously … they are someone I would expect to be not taking notes [and] not paying attention.” Short said.

She said students who wear pajama pants are not presenting themselves professionally and are probably not learning what they are supposed to be.