Alpha Phi Gamma crowns Miss Asia NIU 2005-2006

By Sherelle Green

Flowers, gift certificates and a $250 scholarship were presented to 2005-2006 Miss Asia NIU Julia Choi.

Choi, a senior secondary education major, was crowned Thursday night in the Carl Sandburg Auditorium in the Holmes Student Center. This was the second time Alpha Phi Gamma hosted the pageant.

The contestants were judged on their casual wear, cultural wear, talent, formal wear and a question and answer segment.

Michelle Bringas, director of the Asian American Center, gave a speech discussing the differences that set the contestants apart from the ordinary girl.

First runner-up was senior nursing major Thea Lynn Fernandez and Stella Mae Fuentes, a freshman pre-communication major, was the second runner-up. Linh Nguyen, a freshman pre-physical therapy major, and freshman psychology major Maymey Seto also participated in the contest.

Briana Fukushima, a sophomore business management major and former Miss Asia NIU, gave an encouraging speech about being a woman of essence. Fukushima said in her speech that all the contestants should receive the crown because they are all lovely and worthy of being Miss Asia NIU.

“This is a journey and they are just starting it,” Fukushima said.

As Choi was crowned Miss Asia NIU, her friends held up a sign they made for her to show that they were proud of her. Freshman nursing major Jacqueline Yang and Lori Santiago, a freshman business administration major, were very proud of Choi and said she did really good in the pageant.

Some students who had not attended a pageant before said they were impressed by the contestants.

“These are young women that I see on campus,” said Markesha Halbert, a sophomore business major and first time attendee. “But little did I know of their talents and views on life.”

All the contestants were given a round of applause for their excellence in the pageant.

Fukushima said she is confident Choi will do her best as Miss Asia NIU.

“She is a very good representation of the Asian community, and she is very active,” Fukushima said. “I know she will add to the diversity on campus.”

Choi wore a big smile on her face as people screamed her name and Fukushima crowned her Miss Asia NIU. During the pageant, Choi was asked how she defeats the stereotype of Asian American women. Choi said she doesn’t stereotype others and communicates with a variety of people.

One of Choi’s goals was to have more events that show people’s inner beauty. She said she wants people to realize that they are always more capable than they think they are.

“Anything is possible if you put your all into it,” Choi said.