A donation that makes ‘cents’

By Amber Pilat

Since Founders Memorial Library began its second annual 2 million pennies drive, things have gotten off to a slow start.

Since its debut first semester of last year, the library has been able to raise $3,000 of the $20,000 needed to establish an endowment for money the library needs to buy new materials. If the library raises $10,000 of the $20,000 needed an anonymous donor has said they will contribute the rest.

The idea for the penny drive was first conceived by geography department chair Andrew Krmenec. Krmenec discussed the idea with NIU President John Peters and Mary Munroe, associate dean for collections and technical services at the library.

“We all thought it was a great idea and just went with it,” Munroe said.

Quarters, dimes, nickels and dollars are acceptable for the fundraiser. The amount was decided after the library had received its two-millionth volume, Munroe said. These volumes range from periodicals to encyclopedias.

The library is not the only place donations can be made. Donation drop-offs have been set up in many locations, including the Writing Center in Stevenson South, Housing and Student Dining Services in Neptune East and the Northern Star office in the Campus Life Building, Suite 130.

Many students have not recognized the coin funnel on the first floor of the library or didn’t know its purpose. Sophomore journalism major Lauren Boveri said she thought the funnel was simply for entertainment purposes and did not even know about the fundraiser.

“Now that I know that it has a greater purpose, I will definitely start donating more,” Boveri said.

Some students feel the drive needs to be publicized more.

“I think the library should just advertise more,” said sophomore finance major Anthony Ingraffia. “I say market, market, market is the key.” Ingraffia said he also had no idea the library was trying to raise funds.

Munroe still has high hopes for the drive and will continue the pursuit to raise 2 million pennies.

“Hopefully we can get the money by Christmas, but if not, then we will just continue on until our goal is reached,” she said.