SA plans to pay for security

By Gerold Shelton

A recent party held in the Holmes Student Center cost one student group about $1,600 for four hours of security, which included six officers, said student association senator Andrew Becerra.

New legislation created by SA president-elect DuJuan Smith for next year would have footed the cost of security.

The legislation will come up for vote by SA senators Sunday that sets aside $30,000 to a new “campus security fund” to help cover the cost of security at events held by student organizations.

“This is a proactive approach so groups are not limited or inhibited from holding events because security is required,” said Andrew Nelms, SA senate speaker. “We don’t take issue with the fact security is necessary. We are committed to student safety; we don’t take issue with cost.”

Money for the fund would be set aside from the general reserve, which is supplied through student fees.

Becerra applauds Smith’s efforts to pay for security.

“That is what the SA is there for – to serve the students,” Becerra said. “If they could have put more money in, I wish they would have.”

Nelms said he thinks there might be questions about the legislation, but during the past few years, the SA has been asked by student organizations for help to pay for security.

Sunday’s meeting will be a busy one for senators, who will also vote on approval of student organization budgets for 2005-06, approval of $500 for the Student Leadership Awards ceremony and decide on a new senate speaker.

Nelms said he expects a couple senators might be upset a few clubs did not get as much funding, but will probably pass the budget as is.

“This is historically why the senate has put a lot of stock in it, because the finance committee has gone through this with a fine-tooth comb,” Nelms said. “The finance committee approved [the budget] nearly unanimously throughout the process, and even when they were not, the entire finance committee was still pleased with the results.”

Five senators were nominated last week, with more nominations being this week. The speaker and SA executives will be sworn in the week before finals.

“Leaving the senate after four years, practically since my first day on campus, is bittersweet,” Nelms said. “I am the longest-serving member of the senate. I always felt the senate was the place I could be most effective for change on the campus. I like to think I have done that well over the years.”

The SA senate meeting is at 6 p.m. in the HSC’s Clara Sperling Sky Room.