Finding motivation to work out

By Megan Rodriguez

Finding a workout schedule that fits one’s lifestyle may be difficult, but NIU experts say working out with friends may help keep students motivated.

Finding a partner to work out with depends on the individual, said Moira Stuart, a professor of kinesiology and physical education.

“The key is to know what works best for you,” Stuart said. “If working out with a partner motivates you, you avail yourself of what we call social support, such as encouragement and sharing information that has helped you in terms of adhering to your routine. If you enjoy working out alone then find activities in which you are not dependent on others to participate.”

Freshman undecided major Jauan Henderson said he would work out with friends if it fit into his schedule.

“I go by myself to work out,” Henderson said. “I don’t know a lot of people who go when I do because of my schedule.”

Stuart said one of the downsides to working out alone is having to get all the encouragement and feedback from yourself. He recommended for students like Henderson to share exercise goals with a friend or family member to get support for the goals.

Competition may be another factor on why people work out alone, Stuart said.

“Some people are inherently competition-oriented,” Stuart said. “They look to outdo others in all situations. The only time this can become unhealthy is if you start focusing more on what others are doing instead of what you are capable of, thus pushing yourself outside your ability level.”

The benefits of exercising with friends are accountability and socialization, said Juli Mobley, an instructor of kinesiology and physical education.

“When you have an appointment to work out with a friend, you are held accountable for keeping that appointment, just as you would any other appointment,” Mobley said. “In addition, by working out with another person, you add the chance to socialize into the mix and that may make the exercise more enjoyable.”

Jason Brandenburg, a professor of kinesiology and physical education, said a great thing about many exercise activities such as jogging, biking and weight lifting is they can be performed with a partner or alone.

“A lot of stretching exercises and techniques are more effective when done with a partner,” Brandenburg said. “The advantage to having a partner is that sports and recreational activities like tennis or one-on-one basketball can be performed to develop fitness.