Two departments turn to core values

By Gerold Shelton

Although core values have been showing up in schools and businesses for many years, the study of core values has been ongoing for at least 30 years, said Luis Flores, associate professor of management.

“It kind of faded away, and now it is coming back again,” Flores said. “

The complexity of business has sparked the concept’s revitalization.

“In universities, we have a set of standard values that most universities have anyway,” Flores said. “In a business, it usually involves consultants and sometimes costs a bundle of money.”

At least two NIU departments, the College of Business and the Division of Student Affairs, have core values.

On Sept. 8, 2004, Brian Hemphill, vice president of Student Affairs, introduced the division’s core values.

“I think they have had a tremendous impact on how we interact,” Hemphill said. “The core values have really allowed the division to work off one sheet of music, which I think is incredible.”

Although offices within the division received posters featuring the core values, the values also can be seen hanging in other campus offices, including NIU President John Peters’ office.

“President Peters has been extremely supportive of our vision and mission,” Hemphill said.

The College of Business introduced core values in 1996 after consulting the strategic planning council, faculty, staff and students.

“It is never done without involvement of the whole college,” said Michelle De Jean, director of marketing for the College of Business.

The College of Business developed the core values and a strategic plan for the college at the same time, said David Graf, dean of the College of Business.

“We were one of the first business schools in the country to do it,” Graf said. “Businesses had them for years, but schools didn’t discover it as quickly.”

For some, a set of core values represents more than just a guide for daily work.

“In a way, it is an extension of what your values are,” said Sally Wakefield, director of strategic planning. “We felt strongly enough about the core values that we thought it should be displayed on the College of Business walls.”

Both Hemphill and Graf agreed that core values do not cost students money.

“They reassure more than anything else,” Graf said. “It should give people reassurance that we have the students in mind when making decisions.”