Huskie stadium ready for new look this season

By RICH BRUEN

It looks like Huskie fans will get to plant their rear ends on shiny, new aluminum seats this season.

“We’re really excited,” said Norm Jenkins, Huskie ticket office manager. “We get a lot of feedback from season ticket holders. It was one splinter after another for those people.”

According to Patricia Hewitt, associate vice president of business and operations, the wooden seats, which were installed when the stadium was built in 1964, were becoming a liability.

“They were starting to become dangerous,” she said.

The new, contour seats cost NIU $185,000. Hewitt said this was a very good deal.

“We were very pleased,” she said. “We originally thought the cost would be between 240 and 260 (thousand).”

Hewitt said favorable market conditions in the construction industry were responsible for the low cost.

The seats were paid for out of the Bond Revenue Fee, which is a standard student fee. The $85 per-semester, per-student fee is used for improvements to Holmes Student Center, Chick Evans Field House and Huskie Stadium.

Hewitt said the new seats are part of a three phase plan to improve Huskie Stadium.

Hewitt explained phase two will consist of upgraded seating for priority section near the 50 yard line. Phase three will be the upgrading of restrooms, expanded seating and improved concession stands.

She added the seats are being installed and will be ready for the Sept. 3 high school game between DeKalb and Sycamore.