Food pyramid changed

By Megan Rodriguez

New government diet guidelines will not significantly change what NIU students see on residence hall menus.

This month, the United States Department of Agriculture updated the Food Guidance System, known as the Food Guide Pyramid, to reflect new dietary guidelines for Americans. The new pyramid urges people to eat more whole grains, fruits, vegetables and lean meats while reducing their overall calorie intake and exercising more.

Rebecca Smith, assistant director of residential dining education and nutrition for Student Housing and Dining, said the changes promote good health and reduce the risk for death and disability because of chronic diseases such as diabetes, cancer, stroke and osteoporosis.

Student Housing and Dining will continue to offer students choices that promote a healthy lifestyle, Smith said. The residence hall menus are not regulated by the government, as elementary and high schools are under the Children’s Nutrient Standards. NIU always has offered healthy choices, Smith said.

“However, there is currently a great difference between the recommended dietary patterns and what Americans actually eat,” Smith said.

Christina Solarczyk, a freshman elementary education major, said she isn’t paying much attention to the new guidelines.

“The pyramid has never affected my eating,” Solarczyk said. “So, no, it will not change any of my habits.”

Senior OMIS major Krunal Shah disagreed.

“Eating from the Food Guide Pyramid would influence my choice of healthy eating with good marketing toward it,” Shahsaid.

Student Housing and Dining will educate students through the Nutrition Corner Newsletter, Huskie Living and National Nutrition Month in March.

“Students should choose a variety of foods within food groups,” Smith said. “They should also balance out the food groups one does select from and use moderation with regard to portion sizes.”

Information about new dietary guidelines will be available soon to students online and in the dining halls.