Don’t over-stress exams

By Megan Rodriguez

Finals week doesn’t have to be the most stressful week of the year, said psychology professor Holly Orcutt.

Students have many options for relieving stress during finals week, Orcutt said, including working out, watching movies, getting a massage, shopping or socializing with friends.

“I would recommend anything that involves a ‘healthy’ escape – no drugs or alcohol,” she said.

While stress can lead to anxiety, Orcutt said a mild level of stress may enhance performance on exams.

“If you are too anxious, particularly to the level of having panic attacks, this would hurt your performance,” she said. “I encourage anxious students to take time during exams to breathe and engage in some imagery or relaxation exercise. I know it can be difficult, but also try not to focus on what others are doing around you and how quickly [others] may be finishing their exams.”

Orcutt said stress may lead to increased vulnerability to illness.

“Evidence suggests that there is an optimal level of arousal for performance – that is, you don’t want to be ‘too’ relaxed for your exams. Both too little arousal and too much arousal impair performance on tasks like exams.”

Experimenting with methods of coping with stress is also important during finals week, Orcutt said. If students find anxiety and stress are interfering with school, work or personal situations, they may want to talk to a professional, she said.

Students who want help dealing with stress during finals week can contact the Counseling and Student Development Center at 753-1206 or the Psychological Services Center at 753-0591.