Women compete for Miss Asia

By Gerold Shelton

Alpha Phi Gamma sorority will hold their first annual Miss Asia Pageant at 7 p.m. tonight in the Duke Ellington Ballroom in the Holmes Student Center.

“We have been working with this idea since the end of last year,” said Mary Zonca, a junior business marketing major and member of Alpha Phi Gamma. “The hard work will pay off when the girls are up there shining. It will feel good to have Asian awareness and the culture represented.”

Six contestants, none from the host sorority, will compete for the crown of Miss Asia 2004.

Zonca said this is a big accomplishment for the sorority, which has seven active members.

About 200 people are expected to attend.

The pageant will consist of seven parts, including casual, cultural and formal wear competitions.

A talent show and a question-and-answer session concerning the Asian community and culture will also be held.

While the talent show will consist of something from the contestant’s culture, all of the presentations had not been finalized yet, Zonca said.

Two emcees will host the event: Zonca and Niko Belano, a junior media communication major.

The dance group Animation and the duo of Erika Lopez, a junior communication and media major and Northern Star advertising representative and Phil Salgado, a senior Spanish education major, will perform.

Animation will perform a hip-hop dance act and the Lopez-Salgado duo will perform a Spanish dance.

Alpha Phi Gamma sold ads for a 50-page dedication booklet to help fund the pageant.

“Making the book took about two weeks,” said Heidi Kang, a junior elementary education major and member of Alpha Phi Gamma. “It will feature dedications to contestants, organizations and sponsors.”

Six contestants in the Miss Asia Pageant

Mar Dionela: junior international business marketing and political science double major

Angeline Impelido: junior sociology major

Lily Acosta: freshman nursing major

Rachelle Miranda: freshman nursing major

Briana Fukushima: freshman business management major

Rosemarie Mayor: senior political science and business management double major