Spin your finals stress away with exercise

By Megan Rodriguez

Some NIU students and staff are spinning out of control – with exercise.

Spinning, a high-intensity cardiovascular workout performed to music on a stationary bicycle, was introduced to the Campus Recreation Center in 2000. Students, faculty and staff participate in the classes, which last about 45 minutes.

“It’s a good workout,” said Toni Robinson, a senior public health major and instructor at the Rec. “It is perfect for both the beginner cyclist and conditioned triathlete, since you control the resistance.”

Spinning, also known as studio or indoor cycling, originally was designed to help train professional cyclists. It is known for its loud music, the demanding voice of the instructor and the sound of many bikes working together. Spinners can burn between 500 and 800 calories in one class.

Spinning is a low-impact exercise that is easier on the joints than running or aerobics, Robinson said.

“It’s a fun, fast way to burn fat and calories,” Robinson said. “CRC is always looking for ways to update our program. Spinning was a class format that became ‘hot’ in the industry and we didn’t offer it yet.”

Spin the day away

– Spinning-only class passes are $35 for students/OCR members, $70 for non-members

– Every participant will receive a “frequent spinner” card. After every eighth ride, you will receive a prize.

Spinning is available:

– At noon Monday, Wednesday and Friday

– 4:45 p.m. Monday and Wednesday

– 7:15 a.m. Tuesday and Thursday

– 7:30 p.m. Tuesday

– 5 p.m. Thursday

– 6 p.m. Sunday