Calculating the costs of cuisine

By Megan Rodriguez

Although fast foods may taste good, they are not always the healthiest choice, or even the cheapest.

Rebecca Smith, assistant director of dining education and nutrition at NIU, said there is a perception that eating well is more costly than eating fast foods.

Students interested in eating healthy on a budget should recognize the most expensive grocery items on their budget, Smith said.

According to “Understanding Food Principles and Preparation,” meat is the biggest expense on a food budget. The book recommends reducing daily meat intake to no more than 5 ounces per person.

Grocery items like frozen fish are often less expensive than fresh fish, and buying fruit in season also helps save money.

Smith said students shouldn’t shop while hungry either.

“Research shows it is true, when you shop hungry you are more likely to purchase items not on your list, including less healthful and more expensive snack items,” Smith said.

Time constraints can also make it difficult for students to prepare healthy meals, Smith said.

“Eating cheap can still taste great,” Smith said. “The ramen noodle rut is a myth.”

Students on a budget should plan ahead and pack healthy snacks in their lunch, Smith said. She also recommended getting a basic cookbook to help prepare healthy meals.

Editor’s Note: Martha O’Gorman, an instructor in NIU’s department of family, consumer and nutrition sciences contributed information for this article.

Healthy lifestyle tips

Once you have a basic cookbook, you can do anything. Easy simple meals include:

• Pasta (any shape) and sauce (add steamed veggies)

• Grilled sandwiches (lean meat/cheese/veggies)

• Baked potatoes with toppings

• Grilled or baked chicken with steamed whole grain rice and vegetables

• Hearty vegetable stew (or add beef) served with a loaf of French bread from grocery deli

• Create an “entrée salad” with dark greens as the base, add flaked tuna, carrots, broccoli, onions, cherry tomatoes and top with a sprinkle of your favorite cheese and a light salad dressing.

On grocery shopping:

• Keep a list and stick to it (saves you time and money).

• Organize your list by the layout of the store – for example, you enter … produce – deli -bread – meat – canned goods – cereal – frozen – dairy – checkout.

• Avoid extra shopping trips … try for once a week. Use your fresh produce early.

• Check the supermarket specials in the ads … You pay the marked price and receive another exact item for free. Ads that state “10 for $1.00” may mean 10 for a buck or you may be able to purchase just 3 for 30 cents. Do not buy more than you need or want.

Source: Rebecca Smith, assistant director of dining education and nutrition at NIU