Healthier students opt for stroll across campus

By Megan Rodriguez

Students who have trouble staying awake in school might want to think about taking a few more steps before they get to class.

Choosing to walk instead of taking the bus to class may not only help students achieve a healthier lifestyle, but can also be helpful to students sitting in a lecture hall.

Sally Conklin, an associate professor in health education, said endorphin released during a period of exercise have several benefits, many of which can help students stay awake for long periods of time.

“These mood-elevating brain chemicals can increase energy, reduce anxiety, improve concentration and alertness and enable people to handle stress better,” Conklin said.

Conklin said there are other non health-related benefits as well.

“Certainly the biggest benefit is being active,” Conklin said. “But there are other benefits. Enjoying the outdoor air and not having to wait for buses would also be an advantage.”

Jason Brandenburg, a professor in the department of kinesiology and physical education, said 30 minutes of walking per day at a brisk pace greater than three mph should suffice.

“The good news is that the 30 minutes does not have to be all at once and it can be accumulated over the course of the day, like walking three times a day for 10 minutes.”

Besides burning calories, health benefits from walking can be as extensive as preventing diseases.

“Other benefits for people who walk daily include burning calories to help with weight management as well as the prevention of Type II diabetes,” Brandenburg said. “Because a walker is transporting their body weight and there is some impact walking, it can be good for bone health.”

Brandenburg also mentioned that walking has some cardiovascular benefits, such as controlling blood pressure and cholesterol. However, he said these benefits are linked to longer, faster-paced walks.

“In order to obtain some of the cardiovascular benefits mentioned above, the minimum duration of the walks seems to be 10 minutes,” he said.