NIU’s Wellness Fair to offer health screening, assessments

By Megan Rodriguez

NIU’s Wellness Fair will take place from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday at the Holmes Student Center’s Duke Ellington Ballroom.

The event is sponsored by the Employee Wellness and Assistance Program and the Office of Campus Recreation.

Nancy Apperson, coordinator for the Employee Wellness and Assistance Program, said the event will be worthwhile for students.

“The Wellness Fair provides an opportunity for the NIU community and the DeKalb community to interact with more than 75 local exhibitors featuring assessments and screening related to one of the six dimensions of wellness,” Apperson said.

The six dimensions of wellness include emotional, intellectual, occupational, physical, social and spiritual health, Apperson said.

Members of the Mid-USA Falun Dafa Association will show participants how to improve the body, mind and spirit.

Apperson said the Wellness Fair first was offered in 1990 by the Office of Campus Recreation and featured on-campus departments. In 1991, the Employee Wellness and Assistance Program was formed, and in 1992, the Office of Campus Recreation and the Employee Wellness and Assistance Program co-sponsored an expanded Wellness Fair.

“The fair is a great way to gather a lot of health and wellness information quickly and easily,” Apperson said. “It’s rare that more than 75 providers are ever in the same location at the same time.”