Wrestling team starts season with same result

By Jason Watt

For the second season in a row, the NIU wrestling team started its season by dropping its first meet to a Big Ten opponent.

Last year, it was two-time defending NCAA champion Minnesota. This year, it was Wisconsin, who came out on top with a 27-9 victory.

Ben Heizer, the No. 2-ranked 184-pound wrestler, won his first match since the Nov. 9 Michigan State Open. He beat Ryan Flaherty 5-4. Heizer hasn’t wrestled since the Michigan State Open to rest a sore back.

Both Hiatt brothers, Andy and Sam, were victorious in their first regular-season meet.

Andy Hiatt, 141 pounds, had a 2-1 decision over Tony Turner.

Sam Hiatt, the elder, upset 17th-ranked Ed Gutnik 8-4 in their 133-pound matchup.

“I thought Sam wrestled tough today,” NIU coach Dave Grant said. “It’s obviously great any time you can beat a ranked opponent. I think this win will do a lot for Sam as the season goes along, but as a team, we need to get tougher. We have some things to work on and we just need to keep improving.”

On Nov. 23, the Huskies took part in the Missouri Open. There was an open bracket and a freshman-sophomore bracket.

In the open bracket, NIU assistant coach Raphael Davis cruised to a first-place finish in the heavyweight division.

In the freshman-sophomore bracket, true freshmen Gralan Early took third place in the 125-pound division, while Pat Castillo took second in the 133-pound division.

Tyler Bruesewitz and Derek Hunsinger, both true freshmen, took second and third in the 184-pound weight class.

“I thought our freshmen performed well,” Grant said. “This group is really improving each time out and that’s what we are looking for.”