NIU integrates LGBT issues into classrooms

By Christina Chapman

NIU has taken its acceptance of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender lifestyles to the next level by having faculty to integrate LGBT issues into their curriculum.

On Friday, NIU will host a one-day institute, “Getting Real: Integrating Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Materials Into Your Curriculum,” for faculty interested in including sexual orientation topics in their classes.

“We are going to talk about the ways people have integrated LGBT research,” said Diana Swanson, professor of women’s studies and one of the coordinators. “Also, some of the issues involved will be discussed, like syllabus design and the reactions of students, and how to deal with topics that make some uncomfortable.”

Beth Zemsky, founding director of the Office of LGBT Programs at the University of Minnesota, will speak about her experiences integrating these issues.

There also will be a panel discussion, as well as workshops covering areas of concern.

Reasons for the program include accuracy, responsibilities and justice, Swanson said.

“If we don’t include sexual orientation and gender identity in our material, then we are not including the full reality of human history and society today. It is also part of our responsibility to prepare our students for a world in which they will work with a diversity of people,” she said. “Sexual and gender minorities have been denied their existence and we have a responsibility to them as well.”

Every profession students go into will encounter LGBT issues and people, said Margie Cook, coordinator of the LGBT Resource Center.

“It is important for the university to prepare students for the world they live in,” she said.

The goal of the institute is to help improve the education students receive.

“The material will help educators to teach in a way that is more inclusive of all the students in their classrooms,” Cook said.

To register for the institute, or for more information, call 753-1038.