LGBT to teach tolerance through panel discussion

By Christina Chapman

As a part of LGBT history month, “That’s So Gay” will make students aware of what it’s like to live in the residence halls as an LGBT individual.

“That’s So Gay” is a program to raise awareness of LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) issues in the residence halls, sponsored by the LGBT Resource Center, PRISM and the Grant Towers Hall Council.

The awareness program is free and will begin at 7 p.m. Wednesday at the Grant Towers North lower lounge.

“The program will focus on how heterosexual students can support their gay friends and neighbors in the residence halls,” said Margie Cook, LGBT Resource Center coordinator.

The program will consist of interactive exercises with role playing and a panel discussion.

“We are trying to give students a realistic picture of what it is like to be a gay person in the residence halls,” Cook said. “The residence halls are one of the areas where we regularly encounter difficulties like inappropriate language and harassment.”

The panel members will discuss positive and negative experiences as an LGBT person dealing with roommates and living in the residence halls in general, Cook said.

Steve Condon, a community adviser at Grant’s A tower, helped put the program together.

“I hope that students will learn not to judge people on their sexual orientation and that they will take the time to get to know people’s personalities,” he said.

At “That’s So Gay,” students will have an opportunity to see what it is like in someone else’s shoes.

“Students will gain an understanding that each of us play a role in making people feel welcome or unwelcome in this community by what we say and do,” Cook said.

Workshop and panel discussion

What: “That’s So Gay” workshop and panel discussion

Sponsors: Grant Towers Hall Council, LGBT Resource Center and PRISM

Where: Grant Towers North lower lounge

When: 7 p.m. Wednesday

Cost: Free