NIU professor to represent brand-new Kohl’s store

By Megan Rodriguez

Julie Hillery likes to wear Kohls’ clothing.

Hillery, a professor in the School of Family, Consumer and Nutrition Sciences, now has taken her passion for shopping at Kohl’s into a working relationship for the corporation.

Hillery is the new professor of retailing and merchandising for Kohl’s, which means she is the spokesperson and representative for the store at NIU.

“I have worked with Kohl’s for approximately five years placing student interns,” Hillery said. “The named professorship arose due to the the success Kohl’s has had working with me and with NIU students.”

Although Kohl’s will not open in DeKalb until spring, Hillery is responsible at NIU to promote the management positions and internship that Kohl’s will offer NIU students.

“I will also be teaching Marketing 365, Principles of Retailing, as part of my responsibilities,” Hillery said. “My main responsibilities are to help Kohl’s recruit the best NIU students for their internship and management training program, and to make sure NIU students know what a great program Kohl’s offers them.”

Hillery also is helping Kohl’s design scholarship requirements, which will be given to students who are marketing majors and textiles, apparel and merchandising majors.

Although the named professorship is sponsored by Kohl’s out of Menomonee Falls, Wis., Hillery works in a position that represents the entire Kohl’s corporation.

“I work with stores in the Chicagoland area, including DeKalb, and particularly those in the Fox Valley area,” Hillery said.

Hillery likes working with Kohl’s because she not only enjoys shopping at their stores, she also enjoys fashion in general.

“For as far back as I can remember I have always been interested in fashion, which makes it fun for me to teach,” Hillery said. “I like getting others excited about the industry and think that it offers so many great opportunities.”

Hillery said she is lucky to combine her love for teaching as well as fashion into one career.

“I think teaching others about a subject I love is a great career,” Hillery said. “It’s great to see my students succeed in the industry once they leave NIU.”