Students complain about in-room heat

By Megan Rodriguez

The heat is on in the residence halls, which is leading to many students getting hotter, despite the colder weather.

Vicki Mulyk lives in Lincoln Hall, and said she believes her room is too hot because of the heating system.

“It is so hot in my room that my clothes in my drawers are hot,” Mulyk said. “It feels like it is 80 degrees.”

Kevin Vines, who has been the chief engineer of NIU’s heating plant for 27 years, said this time of year is the most difficult to keep residents comfortable.

The heating plant is responsible for operations and maintenance for all of campus.

“Spring and fall are the most difficult times to switch back and forth to try and keep occupants comfortable, Vines said. “In the past month, we have seen temperatures ranging from 19 to 85 degrees.”

Michael Coakley, executive director of Student Housing and Dining Services, said that although students complain about the heat in the residents halls, SHDS deals with each concern individually.

“Students complain both ways,” Coakley said. “They complain when it’s not on, but there is also a large contingent that complains once it is turned on that it’s too hot.”

Vines said the heating plant monitors the forecast and adjusts the temperature accordingly.

“Our ‘rule of thumb’ is approximately April 15 and October 15 for system switchovers for a majority of the buildings,” Vines said. “With the warmer weather recently, we still have many buildings capable of air conditioning.”

Michelle Simpson, who lives in Stevenson Tower C, said she, like many other students, is having trouble with the heat in her room.

“It’s pretty warm in my room right now,” Simpson said. “It’s kind of annoying when you wake up sweating.”

Vines said residents of Stevenson have individual control of their room temperatures. Lincoln, Douglas, Neptune and Grant have little control.

“There are complaints,” Vines said. “The residents are supposed to call the residence hall fix-it line and those calls are then forwarded to us. We do our best to respond based on the capabilities of our heat/air conditioning system.”