The risks of a late night

By Christina Chapman

Walking home alone at night from a party or bar can be one of the scariest and most dangerous positions a person can be in, but staying safe can be as simple as walking home with a group of friends, said University Police Lt. Matthew Kiederlen.

To avoid assault and to stay safe, Kiederlen suggested to “stay in groups and walk in lighted places.”

Sexual assaults usually occur around drugs and alcohol, so it’s smart to control your surroundings, he said.

“Stay with a group of friends and if you’re going to drink, do it in a controlling manner,” said Kiederlen.

Larry Bolles, director of the University Judicial Office, generally deals with assault cases after they have already occurred, but said there are several tips for keeping yourself safe. There are also several rumors about sexual assault, Bolles said.

“The average person that assaults you is not a stranger or a friend, but someone you know or have met,” he said. “So when you go out to a party or a bar in a group, leave in a group, don’t leave anyone behind because it is usually that person who gets assaulted.”

It’s more than just staying in groups to remain safe. Bolles recommended keeping an eye on your drink.

If you leave your drink and come back to it, dump it, Bolles said.

“If you don’t see it, don’t drink it, no matter how much the drink cost,” said Bolles. “If you aren’t watching your drink, you don’t know what someone could’ve put in it.”

Prevention and response to assault is important to NIU, because it’s not contained to a college environment.

Michelle Emmett, the associate vice provost for student affairs, said sexual assault and personal violence are problems across the world.

“At NIU, we’ve taken a two-point approach to prevent assault through education and response,” Emmett said.

Various student groups on campus also are working to prevent sexual assaults.

Voices for Change is part of the education approach. It is a group of students dedicated to preventing and ending sexual assault, dating violence and stalking on campus.

NIU also provides many services so students can keep themselves out of undesirable situations.

“There are the call boxes for those who are concerned when they are walking, the Student Patrol escorts students, the Late Night Ride Service also will drive you door to door and you can always call the NIU police department directly and we’ll arrange for something,” said Kiederlen.