Huskie Bash served up fun for all on Thursday

By Christina Chapman

Returning to the outdoors from the Convocation Center, the sixth annual Huskie Bash catered to the appetites and entertainment pleasures of all.

The festivities were held last Thursday in Central Park. Vendors offered a variety of food from bagels and pizza to custard and gourmet coffee. The Chesapeake Bagel Co. was at the Huskie Bash for the fifth time.

“We like the community relations with Northern,” said Paul Vanderbleek, Chesapeake’s executive baker.

This year’s bash saw some first-time companies involved.

“A lot of new vendors wanted to participate this year, like Culver’s, Rosemary’s and U.S. Cellular,” said Brian Smith, NIU’s food service administrator.

Some vendors actually had to be turned away, he said.

Culver’s participated for the first time this year, serving custard and cheese curds. Culver’s First Assistant Manager Amanda Corona said the business joined the Huskie Bash to get more involved with NIU.

Along with food, merchandise also was available at this year’s bash. Out on a Whim, a body piercing store owned by Kenny Weinstock, participated this year selling body jewelry, incense and beaded curtains. U.S. Cellular and Comcast advertised contract deals and special offers.

Many vendors also gave away items for free. For example, NIU’s Orientation Office gave out frisbees and L.A. Tan and Caribou Coffee passed out coupons. Many students walked around with hands full of free drinking cups from Papa John’s and the Village Commons Bookstore.

Inflatable games, such as a boxing ring with oversized boxing gloves, attracted many students. But because of the high temperatures, few bouts lasted long.

And it wasn’t just freshmen at the bash. Joe Cinardi, a senior marketing major fresh out of the boxing ring, said his favorite part of the bash was that it was back outside. “It’s cool, it feels like we’re really back at school.”

Amy Henschen, a junior elementary education major who’s also a community adviser at Stevenson Towers, said students attend the Huskie Bash to meet new people.

She thinks it’s important for new students to visit the bash because “it gives the students a chance to mingle before classes start.”

Freshman textile apparel and merchandising major Kristy Bormann found the bash helpful because people approached her just to say “hello” and to tell her about events on campus. Her mother, Laura, thought it was great, except for one thing.

“We’d like to request cooler weather,” she said.