This flight’s delayed

By Mark Pickrel

The NIU women’s basketball team’s trip to Italy that was scheduled for May has been canceled because of the current world issues.

The team was scheduled to play a series of five games against professional teams from May 15-26.

“With the current climate being the way that it is, we felt that we didn’t want to put our students or staff at risk,” NIU Athletics Director Cary Groth said. “This is a wonderful opportunity for our students and staff to participate in, but unfortunately the timing is not right this year.”

The team arranged the trip through Sports Tours Inc., and the corporation will hold all of the money for a future trip to Italy or another foreign tour.

“I believe this was the right decision,” coach Carol Hammerle said. “This trip has been a dream of mine since I came here in 1998 and we’ve been doing everything possible to raise money for this opportunity. But, unfortunately we would be placing the entire travel party in jeopardy by making this trip at this time, and I wouldn’t want to be responsible for putting 30 people in that situation.”

The team was planned a series of sight seeing tours throughout Italy including the cities of Florence, Venice, Rome and Milan.

“I feel pretty good about the situation,” freshman Joi Scott said. “I really wasn’t comfortable going with the war going on. I’m happy we aren’t going. We get to go next year, so this year isn’t a big deal.”

Groth had the final decision in the matter but consulted NIU President John Peters and his staff before making the final decision.

The team had until Friday to buy the plane tickets.

All of the money for the trip was funded privately.

“The biggest advantage to these trips is the experience for the players,” Hammerle said. “The whole focus is so different when you go on an international trip. Players gain valuable time in the games, and these trips let you try different things on offense or defense. But it’s also a valuable educational experience for the student-athletes.”