Party for Bob Wheeler

By Megan Rodriguez

Friends, colleagues and family gathered Wednesday at the Holmes Student Center’s Regency Room to honor interim vice provost Robert Wheeler before his upcoming retirement.

Among the guests at the party was NIU President John Peters, who spoke fondly of what Wheeler brought to NIU.

“When I was getting to know people when I came to NIU, everyone said that one of the pillars of the academic community was Bob Wheeler,” Peters said. “He has proven to be valuable to me and the academic community. This is kind of a bittersweet moment for all of us because we wish him well, but we wish he would stay.”

Wheeler, who came to NIU in 1972, serves in the Office of the Provost. Originally, Wheeler served as an associate professor in the mathematical science department.

“Dr. Wheeler has spent 31 years involved with the students, faculty and staff at NIU,” said Christine Welch, Wheeler’s administrative secretary. “It has been a labor of love. During the three years that I have been fortunate enough to work for him, I have witnessed the care and concern he has shown to any student who needs his help or advice. He is a very dedicated educator and administrator who has never lost sight of what he is here for: the education of the students at NIU.”

NIU Executive Vice President and Provost Ivan Legg agreed.

“He has been one of the most significant people at the university in terms of his commitment to students,” Legg said. “He has always focused on one thing, and that is students. He has taught them and mentored them and has made sure that the best programs and facilities are available for them.”

Wheeler was honored with an Excellence in Teaching Award in 1979 and was the Presidential Teaching Professor in 1991. He previously was the associate dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences as well.

Wheeler said he is looking forward to retirement.

“This is such an unique opportunity to look out over the audience I have known for the last 30 years, with all the different ways I have related to them and all the projects we have worked on,” Wheeler said. “I am really touched and thrilled that we can have this sharing. Not so much for what I have done, but for what we all have done over three decades. It was a great way to go out.”