Students reflect on moving to halls

By Greg Feltes and Lisa Weber

Nelly’s “Hot in Herre” was blaring from many a car stereo around the residence halls this weekend as residents new and old moved in.

But that was the message coming from inside as well, as parents and students found the process a very excruciating exercise. Many people were sweating profusely and growing frustrated from long elevator waits and cramped, boiling conditions.

“It is really hot. It’s a lot of work to go up and down the stairs,” freshman biology major Jill Gross said. “It also smells pretty bad.”

The heat did not take away the importance of the day, said Jill’s mother Gayle, who helped move in both Jill and her sister Julie, a junior Spanish major.

“I feel excited because it’s a new adventure and the next step for them,” Gayle said.

That next step was more difficult than anticipated when the morning’s downpour led to a humid afternoon. Despite the conditions, Michael Coakley, executive director of Student Housing and Dining Services, thought things went well.

“The weather didn’t really help matters. It put us back a couple of hours,” he said. “Despite that, by 4 p.m. Thursday, we had 4,800 people checked in.”

University police officers were out in force to direct traffic and aid movers.

“The police have been very helpful,” said Meghan Hall, a freshman family social services major. Her family arrived at 11:30 a.m. Thursday from Bolingbrook. “I was excited about the people because they are so friendly.”

One of those people was officer Warren Faulkner.

“I remember when I was a student here and it was real hectic back then,” Faulkner said. “Now, things run like clockwork.”

There were however, some dissenters.

“It would help if the police officers actually knew how to direct traffic properly,” Uday Malhotra, a sophomore corporate communication major, said.

Despite some frustration, most chose to focus on the positives of the day.

Freshman undeclared major Dave Widstrom traveled from Tinley Park and arrived on campus at 9:30 a.m.

“I’m relieved and enthused about moving in,” he said. “I’m not living at home anymore.”

Widstrom’s mother Denise was excited for her son to attend NIU.

“He has a lot of things to learn and explore,” she said.

Some still felt some trepidation about the big move.

“I feel nervous because this is totally different for me, because I come from a small town,” said Holly Popkin, a freshman education major.

Some parents shed not a tear.

“It feels great,” said parent Gary Popkin about his daughter leaving home.

Coakley praised the record number of volunteers who came out despite the rain and humidity.

“I am more than grateful and appreciative to all the faculty and students who volunteered, and then actually showed up [despite the weather],” he said.

So far, college has met newcomers’ expectations.

“It is exactly what I expected – lots and lots of chaos,” Julie Gross said.