Times pick up for women’s track

By David Grossman

When NIU decided to start a women’s track and field team, it was hardly a secret that the inaugural season would be a trial.

But improving times and distances take patience, and the Huskie women are slowly showing promise as the semester rolls by.

Last Saturday, the team traveled to Champaign to participate in the University of Illinois Illini Classic, where the afternoon tone was set by continued

improvement from Huskies putting up decent showings. The major highlights came from distance and middle-distance runners.

Freshman Laura Dunn set a personal best in the mile with a 14th-place finish at 5:29.55. Sophomore Juriana Salinas made a vast improvement, as her 1:05.63 in the 400-meter dash marks the third straight time she set a personal best in that event.

Sophomore Danielle Heighway and senior Danelle Buttel were the highest finishers of the day, placing eighth in the 600- and 400-meter runs, respectively. Heighway wrapped up the 600 in 1:49.51, while Buttel finished the 400 in 1:05.26

NIU coach Shantel Twiggs was pleased with the results.

“This marks the third week in a row that we have made several strong performances,” she said. “The hiring of Chris Bailey (distance coach) has made an

immediate impact for our women’s distance program.”

The Huskies will try to improve once again this weekend when they travel to Indianapolis for the Butler University Classic on Friday and Saturday.