Huskie honored for coaching career

By David Grossman

The hallowed halls of the National High School Athletic Coaches Association Hall of Fame have been graced with a Huskie.

Laverence Clarence “Mickey” McMillion, a 1947 NIU graduate and standout track and field athlete, was inducted into the hall of fame during the group’s national convention Friday in Lincoln, Neb. McMillion was inducted for 50 years of service as a golf coach in the northern Chicago suburbs.

McMillion began his prep coaching career at Glenbrook South High School in Glenview as an assistant in 1953. He became head coach at GBS in 1962 and served until 1973. In 1968, he led GBS to the Illinois High School Association state boys’ golf championship.

In 1974, McMillion crossed town and became head coach at Glenbrook North High School, the in-district rival of Glenbrook South. Coach “Mac,” as he became known, developed the golf program at GBN to one of the most consistently competitive in the state. When he decided to hang up the cleats in 1997, McMillion had amassed an amazing 703-84 career record and won 55 tournaments.

Coach Mac was humble about his accomplishment, though.

“In those 50 years, the thing that always stood out for me was the loving, kind and caring individuals at the various golf courses,” he said. “There were a lot of people who just wanted to help the kids.”

While a student at NIU, McMillion was a track star. As a three-time letterman for Huskie Hall of Fame coach Carl Appell, McMillion won accolades as a hurdler, long jumper and decathelete. He competed on conference championship squads in 1941-42. After serving as a pilot in World War II, he came back to help win a championship in 1947.

McMillion is still active in the Illinois Junior Golf Association and owns five Chicago District Golf Association masters championships. He also has served on the Carl Appell Memorial Scholarship Committee, named in honor of his legendary coach.