Huskies’ second-half comeback falls short


Northern Star file photo

Then-sophomore goalkeeper Julia Lentz posted her first career clean sheet for the Huskies during a match against Western Illinois University in DeKalb.

By Jarrett Huff

DeKALB — The women’s soccer team couldn’t complete a second-half comeback Thursday, falling to the Western Michigan University Broncos, 2-1, in Kalamazoo, Michigan. The game saw both defenses make it difficult to attempt a high volume of shots.

First-year forward Kierah Meier scored the lone goal for the Huskies in the game, the second of her college career. It was the only shot Meier took all game.

For the Broncos, first-year forward Bailey Korhorn found the Huskies’ back net twice on the day, giving WMU all the offense it needed to put away NIU. The goals are her second and third on the season. Korhorn shot two-for-four on the day.

NIU junior goalkeeper Julia Lentz got the start for the Huskies in the first half. She was put to work early as Korhorn managed to put one by her in the eighth minute, giving WMU the early 1-0 lead.

In the 16th minute, Korhorn attempted another shot on goal, however this time around Lentz was there to make the save. The first half would end with neither team making much noise on offense. Both teams managed just two shots on goal apiece.

The Huskies brought in senior goalkeeper Megan Donnally to start the second half for NIU. She faced slightly more pressure compared to Lentz in the first half, making two saves but allowing one ball to get past her.

Just like in the first half, it didn’t take long for Korhorn to find the back net, slipping the ball past Donnally to make it a 2-0 lead for WMU in the 55th minute. In the 67th minute, Korhorn attempted to score a third goal, but Donnally was there to pick up her first save.

The Huskies finally joined the Broncos on the board in the 70th minute. Meier managed to get past WMU’s defense and senior goalkeeper Hannah Sargent. Despite allowing the goal, Sargent had a strong performance, picking up five saves in 90 minutes.

In the 72nd minute, the Huskies made a run in an attempt to make it a 2-2 game, as sophomore midfielder Isabella Sabo attempted a shot on goal. Unfortunately for the Huskies, Sargent was there to pick up the save.

In the 89th minute, NIU took one last attempt at a tie with a shot from sophomore forward Nicole Barnham, but Sargent yet again picked up the save as WMU held on to win 2-1.

The loss puts NIU on a five-game losing streak. It brings the team’s record to 1-6 in Mid-American Conference play with only three games to go.

The Huskies return to the pitch at noon Sunday against the Eastern Michigan University Eagles, for an Easter-Sunday showdown in Ypsilanti, Michigan.