NIU sweeps Golden Flashes at home

NIU rebounds from deficit to take set one, handle sets two and three with ease in victory over Kent State

James Krause | Northern Star

The NIU volleyball team celebrates after a kill against WIU on Aug. 27. The Huskies record now sits at 11-11.

By Carlos Finney Jr., Sports Reporter

DeKALB — The Huskies won a conference matchup against the Kent State University Golden Flashes in a clean sweep, winning the match 3-0.

In the first set, Kent State took a slight lead with a score of 10-8. The Flashes widened their lead to four with a score of 15-11 during the middle of the match.

The Huskies battled back to tie the game at 19-19 and took the lead with a score of 20-19 after a service ace by sophomore setter Ella Mihacevich. Huskies went on to win the set with a score of 25-22.

Freshman outside hitter Nikolette Nedic finished with four kills and senior setter Grace Balensiefer had 11 assists in the set.

In the second set, the Huskies opened up the set with a score of 8-3 that caused the Golden Flashes to take a timeout. This would not take any momentum from the Huskies as they went on a 7-3 run to grow their lead to a score of 15-6. The Golden Flashes tried to battle back, but the Huskies would not allow it, winning the set 25-17 to take a 2-0 set lead in the match.

Freshman middle blocker Charli Atiemo would have four kills and Junior outside hitter Katie Jablonski had three kills of her own in set two.

In the third set, the Huskies took a 9-6 lead to start. The Huskies maintained their lead with a score of 16-12 as they continued to have momentum on their side. They did not let up, and the Huskies went on to win the set 25-19 and the match 3-0.

Head coach Ray Gooden spoke on his team being able to overcome being down early in the first set and then come back to have control of the match the rest of the night.

“I think it was good on us to stay composed and keep battling as a group,” Gooden said. “We did a good job there. I thought our passing did a nice job, as well as our defense. We had a lot more range when we attacked the ball, which helped us out a lot.”

Nedic finished with 10 kills on the night, and Balensiefer finished with 33 assists.

The Huskies’ next game will be against the Ohio University Bobcats at 6 p.m. Saturday at Victor E. Court.