Men’s tennis wins close matchup at Buffalo

The Huskies were in for a heavyweight fight on Sunday as they battled it out with the University of Buffalo. 

By Noah Silver, Sports Reporter

The NIU men’s tennis team defeated the University of Buffalo Bison 4-3 in a nail-biter on Sunday afternoon in Buffalo, New York.

How It Happened

Doubles: 1-0 Buffalo

NIU fell in the first two doubles matches of the day as UB Freshmen Yu-Shiang Huang and Cheng Tang defeated NIU junior Mikko Malinen and sophomore Mikael Vollbach 7-5. UB junior Greg Hasting and sophomore Finn MacNamara defeated NIU redshirt senior Kristopher Ortega and junior Oliver Valentinsson 7-6.

The Huskies were able to redeem themselves in the final doubles match as sophomore Armin Koschtojan and sophomore Luke VanDonslear beat UB sophomore Vasisht Cheruku and freshman Daniils Snaiders 6-2. 

Singles: 4-2 NIU

The Huskies were able to bounce back in singles matches as they dominated the Bison.

Valentinsson took care of business, defeating MacNamara, 6-3, 6-2. Vollbach subdued Shiang- Huang in straight sets, 6-4 6-1. Koschtojan beat UB Hasting, 6-2, 2-6, 7-6. VanDonslear eked out the win against UB sophomore Ryan Thompson , 7-6, 6-7, 6-4.

The End Result

The Huskies were able to scrape out the win 4-3 moving them to 8-5 overall and 2-2 in conference play. 

What’s Next?

The Huskies will be back in action at 1 p.m. on Wednesday as they host the University of Omaha in the Chick Evans Field House.