NIU announces new NCAA Faculty Athletics Representative

M. Courtney Hughes is NIU’s NCAA Faculty Athletics Representative. (Courtesy of Donna Turner)

President Lisa Freeman and Vice President and Director of Athletics Sean T. Frazier announced on Aug. 18 M. Courtney Hughes as NIU’s NCAA Faculty Athletics Representative.

“We are very pleased to welcome Dr. M. Courtney Hughes to Huskie Athletics as NIU’s new Faculty Athletics Representative,” Frazier said in an NIU Athletics news release. “In this critical time of change across intercollegiate athletics, I look forward to Courtney’s perspective as a newcomer in this role – and as a former student-athlete – as we work together to move NIU Athletics forward.”

Hughes’ role as Faculty Athletics Representative is to ensure the academic integrity of the intercollegiate athletics program. She will serve as a liaison between the institution and athletics and monitor the student-athlete experience. 

She will also be responsible for ensuring that the student-athletes meet all NCAA, conference, and NIU requirements for eligibility to practice, compete and receive financial aid.  

Hughes earned a Bachelor of Business Administration in finance and business economics & computer applications from the University of Notre Dame. She has a Ph.D. in health services from the University of Washington and a master’s degree in kinesiology from the University of Michigan. She also has an athletic background as she was a member of the women’s tennis team at the University of Notre Dame.

“It is a true honor to be appointed as the FAR,” Hughes said. “This is an exciting time in college athletics, and I look forward to serving NIU student-athletes, administrators and faculty as we navigate change while continuing to pursue Huskie excellence on and off the field.”