That Time I… joined the Northern Star

Ivan Meza

Northern Star is located in room 130 in the Peters Campus Life building.

So there I was, a freshman in college. If there was anything else I wanted more it was to find something to fill my time. I had already had a few extracurriculars before in high school that I had taken with casual interest, but never before had I actually wanted to join an official organization, let alone one having to do with news. 

So on a fateful September day, I found myself at the NIU involvement fair absolutely stunned at literally every option. Fencing? Jiu-jitsu? I didn’t even know that was allowed! Even though I was frustrated, I found myself perusing the options. Not really settling on a particular club, I remember coming across a Northern Star business card as I was leaving, dismissing it as more pointless organization trinkets, I stuffed the card into the back of my pocket. 

Fast forward a week and I still found myself at a loss for what I was supposed to do when it came to an extracurricular I wanted to do wholeheartedly. There was only so much I was willing to work with given my busy schedule. 

Then, seemingly by some miracle, I happened to glance at the crumpled Northern Star business card on my desk. Deciding to just wing it, I filled out the form and called the number on the card then waited for a response. When I got a call back, I was very surprised at how quickly things went. I was brought in for the interview almost immediately and to be honest, I felt unexpectedly happy.  

I didn’t know the first thing about writing any piece of news and I definitely was scared out of my mind. But, I was taught through the process fairly well. By the end of September, I wrote my very first Northern Star piece.

I couldn’t actually believe I had made something of my very own but I knew this was the start of something great. As far as I know, this is my home and living proof that I should try to get out of my comfort zone more.