Sigma Sigma Sigma defends title, wins 2022 PHC Women’s Tugs Championship

Sorority outlasts runner-up Alpha Phi to win back-to-back championships

Mingda Wu

The first-rope tuggers from Sigma Sigma Sigma battle for leverage on the rope during Saturday’s championship match against Alpha Phi. (Mingda Wu | Northern Star)

By Skyler Kisellus, Sports Reporter

DeKALB – Conditioning played a vital role in Sigma Sigma Sigma’s hour-long stand that allowed it to become repeat champions in the 2022 PHC Women’s Tugs Championship.

The first-rope tuggers for Alpha Phi and Sigma Sigma Sigma battled at the rope for one hour and four minutes. The defending champions had the advantage early on and steadily gained leverage on the rope as the minutes passed by.

Sigma Sigma Sigma was coached by members of NIU’s Sigma Nu chapter. Sigma Nu won the 2022 IFC Men’s Tugs Championship on April 23.

“You got to dedicate it to the girls,” first-rope caller George Nordstrom said. “The girls put their hard-earned work (in) and wanted to come out champions, and that’s what they did at the end of the day.”

“I felt really good,” said senior Madalynn Kusch, Sigma Sigma Sigma co-captain and first- rope tugger. “I felt like I could keep going on but that was probably the hardest thing I’ve done in my life.”

Prior to Saturday’s championship matchup, Alpha Phi came out victorious against Alpha Sigma Alpha in the opening round of the tournament on Wednesday.

Both squads had entered the pit by 2:11 p.m on Saturday. Around 275 people surrounded the pit and filled the stands. The Interfraternity Council executive board members, the participating sorority chapters and attending supporters were thanked for their efforts and contributions.

The Panhellenic Council collected $6,046 dollars throughout the tournament from admission fees. The entirety of the proceeds will be donated to Circle of Sisterhood, a non-profit organization founded by sorority women that builds schools that will have at least half of their student body be composed of women, according to event announcer Tessa Higgins.

Notable members of NIU’s administration attended the title match, including NIU President Lisa Freeman and NIU Vice President of Student Affairs Clint-Michael Reneau.

The first round began at 2:20 p.m. after the playing of the National Anthem. Alpha Phi ended the round on a high note as its second-rope tuggers outmuscled Sigma Sigma Sigma in 15 minutes.

“I could definitely tell some of our girls were a little bit defeated,” Nordstrom said. “But they were able to step in and go over everything and take what matters.”

The first-rope lineups stepped into the trenches for the championship’s deciding round. Sigma Sigma Sigma wasted little time as it pulled the rope’s center mark toward its side within the first few minutes.

Both sides waged war for possession of the rope for 64 minutes. Alpha Phi gave firm resistance early but was unable to regain lost ground in the back half.

The match was called at 3:51 p.m. with the majority of the rope on Sigma Sigma Sigma’s side, giving them their second-straight tournament title.

‘We’ve never ever went longer than 20 minutes for, like, consecutive tugging,” senior Cayley Frolik, Sigma Sigma Sigma co-captain and first- rope tugger. “So, to go for an hour and four minutes is absolutely insane. I don’t even think the men go that long.”

Sigma Sigma Sigma bested Alpha Sigma Alpha in last year’s tournament on Oct. 23, 2021.

“It feels mighty fine to be back-to-back champions here at Northern Illinois,” Nordstrom said. “I’ll be back here in the spring for the men’s (tournament).”

The women’s tuggers will have the offseason ahead to prepare for next year’s tournament.