Costs increase for apartment dwellers

By Carol Ekstrom

Returning NIU students for the fall semester can expect to find slight increases in rent for the DeKalb area.

Norm Schmeichel, office manager at University Heights Apartments said the increase that will occur is a “cost of living increase but should not amount to more than 5 percent of what students are paying now.” Prices for University Heights currently are $354 for an efficiency and $409 for a one bedroom. Prices include heat and water.

Erica Bakker, a graduate student in the English department who lives at University Heights is not upset with the increase. “They have a right to do it. You sign a one-year lease, you can’t expect the same rent every year.”

The blue/grey townhouses located on Normal and Edgebrook Roads. also will be increased for the fall semester. The five bedroom, two bathroom units will increase from $990 to $1050 a month.

Bryan Stelton, a senior history major living in the townhouse, thinks the increase is fair. “I used to pay a lot more to rent a house, so I think the increase is not that bad.”

Amber Manor has increased their rent slightly also. A three bedroom unit has increased from $660 to $675 a month.

Amber Manor is more expensive than other complexes in the area. Jackie Hassebrock, a rental consultant for Amber Manor, said “Amber Manor is slightly higher than other complexes because of our health club and pool. We have to have insurance for these facilities.” Hassebrock also attributes the higher rent to the fact that Amber Manor has a full-time maintenance man on the premises.

Suburban Apartments prices range from $235 for a studio to $510 for a three bedroom. Prices include water only.

High Meadows Apartments will see a 5 percent increase in rent. This is the first increase for this complex in more than 2 years.