Sheriff’s Deputy Christina Musil laid to rest Thursday

Sean Reed
Illinois State Police carry a U.S. flag during Deputy Sheriff Christina Musil’s funeral service. There was a procession that took place after the funeral service. (Sean Reed | Northern Star)

Editor’s note: This piece was last updated at 2:15 a.m.

DeKALB – At 1:30 p.m. Thursday at the NIU Convocation Center, 1525 W. Lincoln Highway, a funeral service and procession was held for DeKalb County Sheriff’s Deputy Christina “Beana” Musil.

Musil was killed in the line of duty when her squad car was hit from behind by a Kenworth truck. Musil was a single mother and she left behind three children.

“To me she wasn’t just family, she was my confidant, my rock. And although my little sister, she always had a way of taking care of me,“ said Musil’s older sister, Bridgette Caporaso during her eulogy.

DeKalb County Sheriff Andy Sullivan led prayer and spoke during the funeral.

“Christina lived a life of purpose,” Sullivan said. “Her purpose was realized in service to others. Serving and protecting her country, serving and protecting her family and serving and protecting her community.”

Chicago Police Department Officer, Kenyatta Gaines performed “Amazing Grace” during the service. 

A procession took place after the funeral service. Over 500 police cruisers from counties across Illinois, Iowa and Wisconsin participated with their police lights on.

The procession route went from the NIU Convocation Center east down Lincoln Highway before turning on to Route 23 to end at Butala Funeral Home.

At 12:54 p.m. the DeKalb County Sheriff’s Office staff walked as part of the procession, followed by Sycamore Police Department, DeKalb Police Department, NIU Police Department and officers from other Illinois, Wisconsin and Iowa departments. 

There were roughly 1,000 officers from law enforcement. 

There were roughly an additional 210 people from the public in attendance for the funeral service. 

At 2:43 p.m., the 21-Gun Salute echoed throughout DeKalb to honor Musil for her service.

Musil served with the United States National Guard for four years and was deployed in Afghanistan in 2008-2009.

A planned military flyover was canceled, according to the Sheriff’s Office.

Flags were at half mast throughout Illinois in honor of Musil.

A Gofundme to help support Musil’s family has raised $246,313 and is still taking donations.