Add/drop lines shorten

By Steve Carasso

Long lines at add/drop and schedule completion have been shorter than in the past, but NIU administrators are at a loss for a reason why.

Last semester the line to enter the Duke Ellington Ballroom stretched all the way around the Holmes Student Center, past the Capitol Room. This semester the lines were often nonexistent, with the exception of students who were outside the ballroom waiting to enter before their assigned time.

Director of Registration and Records Richard Durfee said he anticipated long lines would be present and there is no real explanation for why the lines seem to be shorter.

“I receive student complaints regularly every semester about the long lines, but I haven’t received any this semester,” he said.

Durfee said the process is not over yet because today is the last day for students to add or drop a class, but he is still concerned with the welfare of each student.

“My number one priority is to serve the students,” he said.

Assistant Director of Registration and Records Bruce Oates was stationed at the ballroom during the schedule completion process. He offered no explanation for the shorter lines.

“The numbers appear to be slightly less, but I don’t know why,” he said. “The registration process hasn’t changed from last semester.”

Oates said the students’ cooperation and patience has helped schedule completion run smoothly.

NIU freshman Jim Arvanetes, a pre-business major, said he only waited in line for ten minutes this semester, compared to two hours last semester.

Arvanetes said knowing exactly what time to go to add/drop saved him from waiting needlessly in line.

NIU freshman Scott Blazek, a pre-business major, said he remembers the lines being longer last semester. He said although he waited only 20 minutes, he was disappointed he didn’t get the classes he wanted.

While the lines at schedule completion appeared to be shorter, the line to receive a copy of your schedule was long and crowded.

NIU sophomore Andrew Holich, a communications major, said he thought the line would go faster if there were more people to help pass out the copies of the schedules.

The Bursar’s Office and the Financial Aid Office had heavy traffic during the first week of the semester. Students were busy paying tuition and debts, while financial aid officers were answering questions.

Window workers said the lines were average compared to other semesters and hectic times of the year.