Greeks plan new spring programs

By Donald Roth Jr.

As NIU’s spring semester switches into high gear, so do the programs planned by the greek system.

“There are numerous activities and programs that are either set-up or being planned by Interfraternity Council, Panhellenic Council and the individual houses for the spring semester,” said Dawn Sturma, NIU’s greek affairs activity adviser.

The inaugural event of the spring semester will be “Eating Disorders Awareness Week,” which will held from Feb. 3 to Feb. 7.

The Panhellenic Council and NIU’s Counseling and Student Development Center will sponsor the awareness program, which includes a workshop to be held on Feb. 6 at 6 p.m. in the Holmes Student Center Illinois Room.

Another event the greek system and other NIU organizations will hold Feb. 15 is a community service day to benefit DeKalb, Sturma said.

Sturma also said there will be a talent and variety show Feb. 16 for the greeks system’s benefit. The purpose is to promote spirit and involvement within the system.

Culminating the weekend will be a speech by Indiana University Professor Carolyn Thomas on Feb. 18 at 7 p.m. in the student center’s Duke Ellington Ballroom. The subject will be diversity with an emphasis on “communication between the races,” Sturma said.

While most of the greek activities are sponsored by IFC and PHC, there are plenty of other programs planned by the fraternity and sorority houses.

Phi Kappa Theta President Tim McCloud said his house plans to have someone speak and advise his members on the dangers of alcohol consumption and abuse.

The fraternity system members are not the sole participants in advisement on current social issues.

Alpha Omicron Pi sorority has planned to have an expert advise its membership on such varied topics such as eating disorders, sexually transmitted diseases, rape and drug and alcohol abuse, said Alpha Omicron Pi President Christna Scalise.